Crumbl-ing our expectations

A review of this week’s flavors at cookie shop chain Crumbl
Sandra Cheng
This week’s cookie selection at Crumbl. Top row: cannoli, cookies and cream, semi-sweet chocolate chunk Bottom row: cinnamon square, strawberry crumb cake

Crumbl, a well-known cookie shop chain, is famous for their freshly baked goods and rotating weekly flavors. The Highlander sampled five of this week’s six flavors at Crumbl’s Falls Church location.

Cinnamon Square: ⅘

This definitely is not a cookie, and we were surprised that it came out in a plastic square tin. While we expected a cinnamon-flavored cookie, this cake-like treat did not disappoint. It came warm, and the texture resembled that of a spongy, moist sheet cake. The cinnamon sugar marbled throughout gave a strong, delicious cinnamon flavor with each bite. The cream cheese frosting spread upon it perfectly complemented the cake’s rich flavor. The only thing we would have liked for this cake-like concoction was that the frosting was warmed up as well.

Strawberry Crumb Cake: 2/5

This cookie was mediocre at best. The strawberry flavor was hard to find, and the cookie felt and tasted very biscuit-like. The texture was a bit dry, and lacked sweetness. We were quite disappointed with this flavorless, dry, letdown of a cookie.

Cannoli: 3.5/5

With two chilled cookies encasing a chocolate-chip crusted filling of icing, we were excited to try this unconventional cookie. However, our expectations fell flat. The butter cookies were dense and the texture felt almost raw. The filling was not a clear rendition of the traditional cannoli filling, but it was nonetheless light, creamy and delightful, and the mini chocolate chips made for an exciting texture and flavor combination. We really wish there was more of this filling, as the cookie to filling ratio seemed a bit off. Crumbl has an interesting idea with this cookie, but the execution could have been refined.

Cookies and Cream: 2/5

Crumbl, you need to get your act together. This cookie was bad. This cookie was swirled with a dark chocolate and vanilla base, with Oreos and a white glaze drizzled on top. Though there seemed to be a lot going on with this one, it was pretty flavorless. It was definitely not giving “cookies and cream,” since there was barely any cookie or cream. While the chocolate and vanilla cookie base could have passed for the “cookie” aspect, there was barely any icing drizzle and it felt heavy and dense. The only saving grace of this cookie was that it came warm, which was more pleasing to eat than the room-temp Strawberry Crumb Cake cookie.

Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chunk: 4/5

It is pretty hard to mess up a chocolate chip cookie, and Crumbl pulled through with this one. The generously distributed semi-sweet chocolate chips paired perfectly with the sweet, balanced cookie base. This cookie held to the trademark thickness of Crumbl’s cookies, so it was still pretty doughy and hefty. However, the flaky sea salt that topped the cookie gave it the exact punch it needed to have us going back for more.

Crumbl’s cookies are certainly unique, and not all people are fans of the standard thickness of their treats. While some of the flavors fell through, the experience of creating a custom box of different flavors was exciting. The atmosphere is bright and clean, and the self-order kiosks are easy to use. Crumbl also has an open kitchen, and it was interesting so see the assembly process of crafting the cookies. We were unhappy with the letdown of flavors this week, but that’s just the way the cookie crumbles.