The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes shoots through the heart

The new Hunger Games prequel exceeds expectations
Courtesy of Lionsgate Films
The wide release poster of “The Hunger Games: The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes” features its all-star cast and is set to premiere November 17th.

15 years ago, The Hunger Games was released in print to the public, soon to be the first of a thrilling trilogy. The main antagonist of the stories is Coriolanus Snow, the elderly president of the series’ post-apocalyptic country, Panem. Throughout the series, he strives to keep the nation’s annual sacrificial event in place, yet grows more and more bitter as the story evolves, sensing something deeply unsettling about the series’ protagonist, Katniss Everdeen. It was never revealed as to why he grew to be as cold and ruthless as he did, until Suzanne Collins published The Hunger Games: The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes in 2020, a prequel set 64 years prior to the earlier franchise which goes into depth about Coriolanus Snow’s origins.

The movie adaptation of the book, The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes, was released Nov. 17 and follows an 18 year old Coriolanus Snow through his journey as a mentor in the 10th Hunger Games. Snow quickly becomes enthralled with his mentee, Lucy Gray Baird, a spirited District 12 tribute, who contains a multitude of parallels to Katniss’ character in the original series.

With an all-star cast featuring Viola Davis, Peter Dinklage, Rachel Zegler and Jason Schwartzmann, the new film shatters any assumptions that the movie would appear mediocre, presenting audiences with a new level of authenticity and understanding of the series. The film is centered around a character already known to be a future villain, a power-hungry, conformity-driven man. However, Tom Blyth’s stunning portrayal of a teenage Snow forces us to sympathize with him, revealing a hidden backstory of poverty and loss, displaying a slow descent from innocence to cruelty. As the story progresses and Snow is introduced to more characters, a never-before-seen sensitivity is disclosed behind his harder facade.

Seen as the head of the Hunger Games, Dr. Volumnia Gaul, Viola Davis’ performance as a calculating strategist leaves viewers with a sense of fear solely by watching her incredible execution of the role. She delivers powerful lines that strike deep, lingering as a convincingly haunting character. The focus placed on her sinister persona allows the story to flow in a way that is unpredictable, leaving all plot anticipation to the viewers.

Moreover, Rachel Zegler gives a raw, emotional act as Lucy Gray Baird, exposing the true terror of the Hunger Games while reminding the audience that she is truly just a young girl. Throughout the film, Zegler gives a number of vocal performances that drive the plot, her voice reminiscent of traditional Appalachian folk songs. Zegler’s outstanding performance as a courageous and carefree Lucy Gray helps expose the multitude of emotional layers hiding behind all of the characters, providing for a deeper view inside the story.

The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes has independent elements of its own story, while including aspects that reflect the original trilogy, pulling viewers further into the Hunger Games universe. The film also displays thought-provoking differences between the original trilogy, illustrating how Panem’s society has shifted in favor of making a spectacle out of the games.

Avid Hunger Games fans were quick to voice their intense admiration for the movie, many crowning it as the best of the series. This fresh installation provides social commentary mixed with a sensation of nostalgia for the previous films. A need for deep analysis of a previously mysterious character has been made apparent, allowing the audience to be transported into Snow’s mind, which in turn reveals his darkest motivations and secrets. This new addition to The Hunger Games franchise contains many layers, providing for a Hunger Games renaissance within pop culture. The film will mesmerize any audience, effectively leaving one speechless as they exit the theater.