McLean DECA dominates districts

Strong performance advances 24 McLean students to states
mclean.deca Instargram account
Senior officers Aadil Singh (left) and Nico Christofferson (right) announce district results in DECA meeting.

On Nov. 6 at Oakton High School, 51 McLean students competed in the District Leadership Competition for District 12. Twenty-four students from McLean finished top 3 in their respective competition categories, qualifying for the Virginia DECA State Leadership Contest, which will take place from March 1-3, 2024. DECA is a student competition and club which tests elements of entrepreneurship, finance and marketing.
In most competition categories, students take a 100 question multiple choice exam and participate in a role-play scenario where they are given 10 minutes to solve a business-related problem and another 10 minutes to present their solution to a judge. The club worked on their role-play skills leading up to districts in order to have a successful competition.
“Our officers held practice sessions to run through how the [competition] process works and what would be asked of them on competition day,” McLean DECA sponsor Debra Dove said. “Then, [we] practiced a role-play situation with the students, [in which] I showed an example of what a role-play scenario contains and let them take some time to think through possible solutions and discuss.”
McLean DECA officer and senior Nico Christofferson placed first in the entrepreneurship category with a score of 272 out of 300. As a second-year DECA member and leader in the club, Christofferson wanted to lead by example with a successful start to the DECA season.
“Last year, I placed 4th at districts, so I didn’t quite meet the benchmark, but I had a team event for states and made it all the way up to internationals, so I felt pretty confident in my ability to do well [this year],” Christofferson said. “I was nervous coming in, but getting the results in front of the rest of the club was amazing. It was great to start off the season strong.”