Homecoming highs

McLean students reflect on the excitement of Homecoming week
Courtesy of Ella Farivar
Seniors Anna Ntep, Ella Farivar, Emery Conroy and Maia Le pose in front of the Washington Monument on the night of the Homecoming dance, Oct. 21.

Homecoming festivities officially came to a close this past Saturday, Oct. 21 and McLean students have almost unanimously agreed this was one of the most fun-filled and exciting weeks of the year.

Whether it was the crisp, fall weather, the enthusiastic participation in spirit days like BBQ dads vs. soccer moms, or the tangible energy of the Friday afternoon pep rally, student morale was high during the action-packed week.

“My favorite part of Homecoming week, besides the actual dance, was the spirit days,” senior Ella Farivar said. “I loved planning for the different themes and it was cool to see everyone’s different outfits.”

Some students feel that with the stress of the school year, the events of Homecoming were a nice way to unwind.

“Senior year has definitely been difficult between college applications and the amount of homework,” Farivar said. “Homecoming was a good way to relax and just focus on having fun with my friends.”

“Homecoming was a good way to relax and just focus on having fun with my friends.”

— Ella Farivar, Senior

Other students enjoyed having the chance to get dressed up and enjoy the sights and sounds of Washington, D.C., a popular spot for McLean students to take pictures together before the dance.

“I went to the [Lincoln Memorial] which was really fun,” junior Esma Djutovic said. “My friends and I took a lot of pictures and I was excited to see other McLean kids there so that I could take pictures with people who weren’t in my group.”

The Homecoming Dance was held in the lower gym at McLean from 8-11 pm. McLeadership, a student leadership class at McLean, was in charge of decorating the gym for the dance with the theme: “A Night in New York”.

“I really liked the decorations at the dance,” freshman Justin Suydam said. “The multiple kinds of lights they used made the gym look really different and cool.”

After these past couple of days, students are looking forward to future school dances and events that will generate the same sense of elation.

“Homecoming was awesome and it makes me really excited for Prom in the spring,” Junior Joe Margita said.

Did you go to the Homecoming Dance?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.