Highlanders wash out Mustangs in rainy season opener

McLean kicks off season with a first game win against Meridian
McLeans+offense+lines+up+for+a+play+against+Meridian+in+the+season+opener+on+Aug.+25.+Despite+the+pouring+rain%2C+McLean+scored+44+points%2C+shutting+out+Meridian.+
Brandon Lu
McLean’s offense lines up for a play against Meridian in the season opener on Aug. 25. Despite the pouring rain, McLean scored 44 points, shutting out Meridian.

McLean wins, 44-0

Just 10 minutes down the road from McLean High School stands Meridian High School, where the McLean Highlanders traveled to take on the Mustangs. After a demoralizing 1-9 record last season, the Highlanders were determined to start the season off strong.

“I think it’s a good opportunity for us to start the year off on the right note and come back with a good win,” McLean Defensive Coordinator Brian Slay said.

As clouds moved over the stadium, McLean sent out its representatives for the coin toss. The Highlanders won the toss and the game clock started. After the opening kick, junior quarterback Ethan Ball threw a 40-yard pass to junior wide receiver Logan Blake, a play that boosted the team and crowd morale. That drive turned into a rushing touchdown by senior Kaelan Ferris, and despite the missed kick for the extra point, the student section erupted with cheers as the Highlanders took a 6-0 lead.

“It’s all about giving those boys confidence,” Slay said. “They all have the ability, it’s just now about putting the confidence in them.”

McLean’s offense worked well together, completing pass after pass, resulting in a touchdown by senior tight end Vaughn McCollough. At about 7:35 pm, with the Highlanders winning 13-0, and almost 6 minutes left in the first quarter, the refs blew a whistle for a rain delay, pushing the entire crowd into Meridian’s main gym.

As more lightning struck the sky, an additional 45 minutes was added, and it turned into a break that lasted over an hour. The fans started to leave, bored by the lack of action, and the overall spirit started to dim.

But those fans that stayed got an experience well worth the wait as the teams ran back onto the field at 9 pm. The Highlanders started off strong as Ferris delivered another touchdown, and McLean ended the second quarter leading by 20 points.

The Highlander’s confidence lowered when the team was yet to score a couple minutes into the 3rd quarter. But morale was boosted when McLean’s offense completed a rushing first down on a 4th down play. But just one drive later, an incomplete pass turned the ball over to the Mustangs and the 3rd quarter ended with no points scored on either side.

Ferris exhibited his prowess once again in the early stages of the fourth quarter, achieving his third touchdown of the evening through an impressive long rush, extending the Highlanders’ lead to 27-0. Shortly after, sophomore wide receiver Malcolm Andrews bolstered the score with a touchdown that spanned over 50 yards.

“Our energy was really good, which kept us up for all of the game and [made] it more enjoyable,” Andrews said.

Following that, Kevin Kabasele blocked a punt and scored a recovery touchdown for the Highlanders, even further extending their lead.

McLean’s defense was strong, preventing the Mustangs from scoring at all, an incredible shutout. McLean’s varsity football team delivered a 44-0 season-opening win.

“We did what we’ve been practicing the last 8 months and got the job done,” Andrews said. “It’s onto the next, and we’re just taking it week by week.”

Next week, the Highlanders are set to face off against the Lancers of John R. Lewis High School in the inaugural home game of the season.