McLean Football demolishes Lewis High School, 50-9, in 2023 home opener

McLean soundly defeats Lancers to move to 2-0 on the season

After McLean obliterated the Meridian Mustangs in a 44-point victory which saw more rain delays than Meridian scoring plays, the Highlanders rolled into their home stadium for the first time in the 2023 season with high hopes for the outcome of their game against the Lancers of John Lewis High. Several members of the team went into the contest with extreme confidence.

“We’re going to shut them out,” senior running back Jahi Jemison said. “They’re not scoring a point. We’re going to run all over them.”

The Lancers started with the ball after a failed onside kick attempt, and quickly went to the air for several short pickups in a row. The Highlanders got wise quickly, and the drive was stifled on fourth down. Junior quarterback Ethan Ball and the rest of the offense took over, and Ball used his legs on multiple plays to move across the 50-yard-line. Highlander fans were happy to see senior Kaelan Ferris back for the first time since early in the 2022 season, as he punched in a touchdown run from 29 yards out.

The Lancers were stopped multiple times on the following drive, but two personal fouls kept the drive alive for them. Juniors Noah Jander and Carter Brown were everywhere, making tackles and being disruptive, and the Lancers were held to a field goal to make the score 7-3.

A strong kickoff return from sophomore Malcolm Andrews put McLean in a threatening position at the beginning of the drive. After a single run play, Ball found fellow junior Logan Blake open in the corner of the endzone for another 29-yard touchdown.

In the aftermath of the kickoff, Jemison showcased his remarkable speed as he closed in on returner Joel Smith from behind. This chase-down tackle allowed the Highlanders to stand their ground at the goal line and prevented Lewis from closing the gap, utltimately preserving their lead at 11.

The Highlanders quickly ramped up their intensity, with scoring plays coming in a blur after the goal line stand. Ferris broke off another run, stampeding 86 yards for a touchdown. A messy Lewis possession ended in a safety, as the long snapper chucked the ball out of the back of the end zone on a punt attempt, making it 23-3. Shortly afterwards, Ball found senior Vaughn McCollough streaking across the field for a passing touchdown. The broken record kept spinning, as Ferris found the end zone for a third time. It was an astonishing 37-3 after less than 20 minutes of gameplay.

It was hard to blame Lewis for the lack of effort, and easy to understand McLean’s overwhelming intensity on the field. The effects of the strong start were present in every tackle, every potential reception, every 50/50 ball, and McLean was winning every single one. A touchdown catch from Andrews at the end of the half meant that in a single half, McLean had matched the scoring output of their entire first game, as they went into the locker room with a 44-3 lead.

Sophomore Lucas Jones started the second half at quarterback for the Highlanders, and senior Kennedy Muñoz proceeded to gash gaping holes in the Lewis defense with his rushing. The two teams traded punts, and then Jones saw his route get jumped by a Lewis defender for an interception. The quarter drew to a close shortly afterwards, with the score still 44-3.

Surprisingly, the Lancers opened the scoring in the final frame, with a short rushing touchdown followed by a missed extra point to make it 44-9. Muñoz kept his strong running game going, barreling over numerous defenders every single time. His efforts paid off with a touchdown run to bring the lead to 50-9.

The destructive win was McLean’s second of the year. Although it was not quite the shutout that Jemison predicted, it felt like it in every possible way. The Highlanders simply played on a different level the entire game, and the victory came as a result. Despite the excitement of the win, the Highlanders quickly turned their eyes to the next game against the Chantilly Chargers.

“[The win] just means we have to keep working harder,” senior offensive lineman Jason Babalitas said. “We had really good practices all week, and we worked really hard. We want to change the culture of this team.”