SASA moves forward

McLean’s South Asian Student Association expands

Alexa Sribar

Sophomore co-founders Emily John (left) and Nisa Naik (right) go over the plans for the first SASA meeting of the 2022-2023 school year.

Last year, the South Asian Student Association (SASA) was founded by students Nisa Naik and Emily John.

“We felt that students with South Asian backgrounds weren’t being very well represented at this school,” co-founder Nisa Naik said. “Our main goal is to help them get their voice out there about where they come from, as well as share South Asian customs and traditions with people who may not be as educated about them.”

SASA holds regular meetings in room G275 with history and social studies teacher Natalie Viets.

“Meetings are scheduled on Mondays at least once a month, usually every two weeks,” sophomore co-founder Emily John said. “We try to keep them fun and educational, dedicating them to different aspects of South Asian culture like religion, music, and food.”

Club members enjoy meeting with peers with shared backgrounds. It gives them an environment in which they can feel a deeper connection with the student body.

“I try to attend every SASA meeting,” sophomore club member Giri Allamsetty said. “I’ve found that I’ve been making more friends through SASA and I’m connecting with people that are similar to me.”

This year, SASA has bigger and better plans to reach out and establish a presence beyond MHS.

“We’re planning on volunteering at SVLT Lotus Temple in Fairfax, “ John said. “It will allow club members to bond with each other as well as directly contribute to the local South Asian community.”

SASA hopes to grow in order to unite the South Asian population at McLean and further its message.

“We want students to learn and become more confident about their South Asian culture,” Naik said. “SASA is our way of building a more secure South Asian community at the school.”