Science National Honors Society hosts Recycled Art presentations

Art program intends to raise awareness about waste

Ghada Moussa

Sophomore Gabby Wang presents her heart-shaped project made from tin foil.

The Science National Honors Society (SNHS) held its Environmental Awareness and Recycled Art presentations on Friday, Feb. 18, after school. Students presented their handmade recycled art and slideshows researching different topics about the environment.

“I worked on creating an infographic to describe the effects of melting sea ice on Emperor Penguin populations,” junior Vidya Suri said. “I think it’s important to keep in mind that the Antarctic sea ice is melting…which will likely increase our awareness of the scope of the project in general.”

The project required students to create physical figures from recycled materials, which the honors society mandated to raise awareness about waste.

“The project goal is to encourage creativity and sustainability using recycled materials. Each student was tasked to…create a piece of art using at least three types of recycled material,” Senior Songhan Pang the co-president of SNHS said “Students have been really creative, and made everything from models of different organs or things like that to even collages.”

While presentations went well, SNHS hopes more people will participate if the event is offered in the future.

“I enjoyed participating in this project in the past, and I wanted to kind of make it my own,” said junior Antigone Stark, leader of the Environmental Awareness project. “But more participation would be great. We’d have quite a few people presenting today, but even more would be wonderful.”

Still, participation was fairly large, setting a good precedent for future years. The honors society believed the event made an impact on participants and attendees.

“[Science] can be used in a bunch of creative ways to help bring value to the community, whether that’s creativity, inspiration, or just maybe a personal goal,” Pang said. “I’m sure that not many people associate science with art, but seeing all these different presentations, I think can show people that science has less limits than you think it would be and how that can push people to try things that they might not have tried before.”

SNHS is looking to increase its art programs in the future to raise awareness about different science-related issues in the world.

“I hope to be able to expand upon it, to maybe target some…different animals that are being affected by human actions, and then maybe put in efforts to show how we can actually make a difference,” Suri said.