Junior Focus Day goes virtual

For the first time in the school’s history, McLean holds a junior focus day online

With school having still been completely virtual, Mclean High School held its first online Junior Focus Day on Feb. 22. Two separate sessions were held from 10:30 am- 12 pm and all were recorded, giving students the opportunity to attend more than the two allocated sessions for the first time. Juniors can access the full recordings in the junior Google classroom.

Scholarships 101

Presented by Robyn Komar from the University of Louisville (public college) and Rebecca Buffington from the University of Richmond (private college)

This session goes over sticker vs. net prices, which covers how the actual price presented is not what the average student pays when considering scholarships and federal aid. The session covers merit-and need-based scholarships, along with federal aid, and breaks those down for comparison. Differences between private and public schools are also explored along with need-blind and need-aware aids.

Northern Virginia Community College (NOVA)

This session goes into dual enrollment options for upcoming seniors along with the numerous advantages of the NOVA campus. It explains how NOVA is an open-access school, meaning anyone that applies will be accepted, is a very low cost, has a large variety of student life, amazing academic support services, and an honors program for those wishing to challenge themselves. NOVA also has a great transfer program to a 4-year college and can help students join the workforce right after graduation based on a student’s desire.

Military

Presented by Ryan Barnett and Kristina Bidouse from George Mason

This session dives into the office of military services for George Mason College. It goes into different GI bills and benefits that allow military-affiliated members to go back to college after completing service. It also defines common military terms such as “active duty service members” and how each term relates to differences between benefits, along with enlistment/commission paths and details of the different branches within the military.

International Students and Non-US college

Presented by Beth Shotton from the University of St. Andrews and Sayaka Smiths from the University of Tufts

This session goes into what studying abroad actually entails, including the merits of attending colleges across the Atlantic. It explains the different teaching styles and degree structures offered, how to apply to foreign colleges, and the student-life, accommodation, societies, and sports available.

Finding Your Best School Fit

Presented by Sofia Fallas from Saint Joseph’s University and Sarah Burns from Denison University

This session goes over the different factors to consider when researching colleges, such as the size of the school, the classes, the campus location, and whether the school is private or public. It also explains the importance of campus culture, resources available to students, the importance of looking at the financial aspect of college, and emphasizes college visits. Lastly, it goes in-depth into what juniors should be doing this spring and summer, including brainstorming essay topics and creating resumes.

NCAA

Presented by Sarah Dinardo from Butler University

This session focuses on the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA), and explains its 3 divisions in detail. For each division, the hosts cover the number of schools and athletes that participate in it, the scholarships offered, and other interesting facts. The presentation also mentions eligibility—McLean Graduation requirements do meet the NCAA requirements—and how to apply. It encourages interested students to talk with coaches for more details.

College Admissions Testing

Presented by Sara Wheeler from McLean High School

This session starts with explaining how many colleges and universities will be test-optional for the class of 2022 due to COVID-19. It also goes into overall differences between the SAT and ACT, the scores, the timings, and the sections. Later, it goes in-depth into each of the sections in both tests and the status of the optional essays. The host also explains how to register for both tests and provides resources to prepare for both exams, along with the college admissions timeline and what juniors should be doing this spring, summer, and fall.

College Essays

Presented by Monica Pinyae from William and Mary and Drew Goodwin from St. John’s College

This session goes directly into the different essays in the Common Application, often referred to as the “Common App.” The hosts cover how and when to create a Common App account and where to find the common app prompts. They also cover writing styles for both personal statements and supplemental essays and provide insight into what techniques are most effective. The presentation features many anecdotal examples which are used to emphasize the importance of a good essay and the impact it can have on a student’s application.

Employment Skills

Presented by Anna Southworth from McLean High School

This session first addresses how and where to search for jobs that match your strengths, including many websites that are good resources. It then goes over how to create and format a resume along with providing examples. Lastly, this session explains how to prepare for interviews, a lifelong skill many students still need to master.

Application Components

Presented by Casey Padgett from the University of South Carolina and Mario Cruz from Virginia Tech

This session explains what juniors should be doing now in order to start preparing for college admissions. The hosts advise creating a spreadsheet with all the requirements for each college you are interested in. They also go into Common, coalition, and school-specific applications, as well as advising when to reach out to teachers about recommendations, and encouraging students to call admissions offices to ask what they are looking for during the summer before senior year. They also cover the importance of extracurricular activities and how colleges track interests by noting if you have visited campus, read emails, and attended or submitted optional seminars and essays.