Wonderful winter spirit week

Sophomore Skye Sunderhauf (left), junior Zach Anderson (middle), and sophomore Katie Romhilt (right) show off their school spirit. They dressed up for comfy clothes day two days before the start of winter break. (Photo by Emily Jackson)

Addie Brown, Features Editor

Cramming to get in all quizzes, tests, essays, and projects done before winter break always causes stress for students. Leadership thought of a fun way to help remove this stress- a winter spirit week.

The week before winter break, there was a different spirit theme each day, with dress up as your favorite holiday movie character on Monday, red out on Tuesday, ugly sweater day on Wednesday, holiday comfort on Thursday, and ending with flannel day on Friday.

“Spirit weeks are fun because you get to change the standards for what normal is and instead of having a basic style you can branch out and be creative,” sophomore Taylor Benedict said.

In recent years, there has not been a winter spirit week at McLean.

“This is the first winter spirit week, last year we did a tacky sweater day, that was the only spirit day we had,” Leadership teacher Taylor Kidd said. “Because we had such a positive feedback for the Halloween spirit day we figured we might as well spread some holiday cheer for the last week before break.”

Students were content with the addition of the holiday spirit week and thought it was a great way to get ready for winter break.

“It was a fun way to get people in the holiday spirit,” sophomore Amy Verderame said.