Closure of grade book increases frustration

Pragya Dhungana, Reporter

According to FCPS, “The Student Information System (SIS) supports all aspects of a student’s educational experience and includes demographic data and information related to scheduling, attendance, discipline, health, test results, and academic programs.  SIS is a secure, web-based system accessible by staff, students, and parents.”

SIS provides a report card module to aid in grade reporting. It is flexible and allows FCPS to generate highly customizable grade reports. However, locking of grade book at the end of the quarter increases frustration in students. As the end of the quarter proves as an efficient time for the makeup of many assignments, the locking of grade books prevents students from doing so. Students will not be able to view their grades and will not know about the assignments they need to cover. The report card provides an updated grade, different from what students saw earlier and students will lack an opportunity to improve the assignments that are dropping their grade.

Fairfax County Public Schools grade book and report card modules have been closed from Friday, April 13, 2018, at 6:00 a.m. through Friday, April 20, 2018, at 11:59 p.m. The closure of grade book happens at the end of every quarter and has been one of the major issues for students in middle and high schools.

“SIS play a huge role in student’s academic improvements and students must be able to know about their grades especially at the end of the quarter. The closing can cause stress for students and parents who regularly check their grades on SIS. It is a habit for some students to check their grades regularly. Students get very frustrated when they are unaware of what to expect on the report card,” junior Mary Clarynas Truz said.

The closing is mistaken to be a major help for the teachers as it allows teachers to update grades without causing interruptions. However, teachers update student’s grades throughout the quarter. Grading can sometimes be very tedious and requires a significant amount of time. SIS usually provides only a week or two to work on grade books which does not prove to be helpful for teachers as well.

“I do think it is stressful. But if students were to watch all the fluctuations in the grade book at the end of the quarter, teachers would have countless emails. The closing gives breathing time for teachers,” social studies teacher Emer Johnson said.

SIS should be modified. Fairfax County should take a step to maintain a grade book which allows students to view their grades without interruptions at the end of the quarter.