Filed under News, Slider

ABC News reporter speaks to AP Government classes

ABC's Chief White House Correspondent, Jonathan Karl, answered students' questions

ABC News Chief White House Correspondent Jonathan Karl speaks to AP Government students on Dec. 5. Karl answered 25 questions from students. (Photo by Sam Gollob)

On a usual day, ABC News Chief White House Correspondent Jonathan Karl is asking the questions—to press secretaries, presidents of the United States and foreign dignitaries. Karl took on a new role on Dec. 5 when he visited McLean and answered 25 questions from AP Government students.

Karl’s visit was organized by government teacher Karen McNamara and occurred in front of a standing-room only crowd in the Lecture Hall. AP Government students are currently learning about the role that news media plays in politics. Karl, the father of senior Anna Karl, was invited to speak to students about his career experiences.

“I’ve enjoyed a lot of my dad’s stories over the years and I’m glad he got to share them with my friends, classmates and teachers,” Anna Karl said.

Karl’s major message to students was to broaden their horizons and remain open to hearing others’ opinions.

“The country is so divided. Our political world is so incredibly divided,” Karl said. “The important thing is for people to listen to all sides, including listening to people you don’t agree with and challenge your own beliefs.”

While the Trump administration has often attacked news organizations such as Karl’s employer, ABC, Karl maintains the importance of the news media in the political world.

“When the president personally attacks news organizations, reporters, a free press, it’s challenging,” Karl said. “I really do believe in a free press is an essential part of…what makes democracy work.”

Karl ended on a positive note and had hope for the future of both journalism and of students’ ability to make an impact on politics.

“A lot of people are really pessimistic about what’s happening in the country on both sides,” Karl said. “I’m more optimistic because I think that our institutions, the institutions you guys are covering in AP Gov, are pretty resilient.”