Seniors: college decision tips for the indecisive student

Aisha Singh, Managing Editor

As the May 1st deposit deadline fast approaches, seniors must decide which colleges to attend. There are some things that every senior knows to do, such as considering the academics, financial aid, and atmosphere, but here are some lesser-known helpful tips that might make your decision easier!

Visit campuses

It’s definitely a given to visit your campuses, but make sure you do more than just a regular tour and info session. When you go to a college’s Day for Admitted Students, try to sit in on a class or lecture if allowed. Visit your potential future dorms, and eat in the dining halls as well as loved spots on campus. Try to picture yourself walking across the grounds, hanging out in the library, or chilling with friends in school activities or clubs.

Look at job/grad school placement

Whether you’re planning on going to grad school after college or right into a job – or even if you have no idea – it’s a good idea to see where students go after graduating for all of your colleges.

Look at your program specifically

If you do have an idea of what you want to study in college, look at the details of the program or major you’re going to be in. It might help to email or visit professors, and ask about research or interning within your major. Check the core requirements and how many intro classes you need to take, or ones you can place out of. Often times, certain schools will have better specific majors or programs than others.

Talk to current students

Some of the most important insights about a school can come from its current or recently-graduated students. Even if you don’t personally know anyone who goes to a school, reach out through Facebook pages or groups – you’ll always find current students willing to share some wisdom, both the pros and cons, of a school. Ask them not only about their overall experience at the school, but also their personal bests and wrists, and what they value about the school as well as what they wish could be better. Be sure to ask specific questions – the more detailed a question, the better. When you make your college visits, try to meet up with them for a few minutes or for a meal.

It’s all about location

No doubt, you’ll already be looking at location when you’re considering which college to go to, but it’s also important to consider the surrounding college town as well as the atmosphere of the school. You’ll be spending the next four years of your life at college, and a college atmosphere that doesn’t fit you will make it tougher to get acclimated.

Regardless of how far you are in your decision, be assured that no matter which school you end up picking, you’ll end up in a school that’s great for you!

Have you decided where you're going for college?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...