Coffee quandary: the health effects of daily coffee consumption

Highlanders consume their daily coffee without much thought into it’s hotly debated health effects.

Image obtained via creative commons

Image obtained via creative commons

Jessie Friedman, Reporter

Many students at McLean depend on coffee to prepare themselves for their busy days. However, the effects of caffeine, the main ingredient in coffee, on the health of its drinker is a hotly debated issue.

Coffee is not associated with an increased risk of dangerous diseases, as many people claim.

According to the Nurses’ Health Study conducted by Harvard University, drinking up to six cups of coffee a day is not associated with increased risk of death from cancer or cardiovascular disease. In fact, coffee consumption was associated with a reduction of stroke and heart disease risk.

Although caffeine raises blood sugar in the short term, the study also shows that the antioxidants in coffee may improve insulin sensitivity and lower the risk of type 2 diabetes over many years.

Some students also may choose to avoid coffee because they are worried that coffee contains a significant amount of calories. However, this is generally a misconception.

On average, how often do you drink coffee?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

According to the Mayo Clinic, a plain cup of brewed coffee contains only two calories, and no fat. However, common additions to coffee, such as whipping cream or table sugar, can quickly add calories to your drink. Whipping cream contains 52 calories, and table sugar contains 49 calories.

Although many perceived disadvantages to drinking coffee have been disproved, there are still reasons to avoid it.

According to Authority Nutrition, consuming too much caffeine can lead to anxiety, heart palpitations and may even exacerbate panic attacks. Another unwanted side effect of coffee is its ability to disrupt sleep, even hours after consumption.

There is no doubt that there are both helpful and harmful effects that stem from drinking coffee, and students should be sure to consider these effects as they make decisions regarding their daily coffee consumption.