McLean track and field prepares to face Patriots

Highlanders take on Yorktown for second meet of spring season
Alan Tang
The McLean Outdoor Track team practices for their upcoming meet against Yorktown on March 20th. This meet is the second of their spring season and they hope to continue their success from previous seasons.

On March 20, McLean track and field will travel to Yorktown High School to run in their second meet of the spring season with hopes to start off strong.

“We saw lots of good performances all around,” distance coach Matt Christianson said. “It was a really good starting baseline for the season, especially for our new people.”

To prepare for this meet, the runners, throwers and jumpers have been approaching new training regimes to match the new events they will be participating in.

“The biggest thing this week is focusing on training and not just on prime performances,” Christianson said. “Since this is a B meet everyone is doing races they haven’t done this season so the main thing is just getting some basic marks and improving on those later in the season.”

McLean had a great showing at Washington-Liberty on March 12 where many runners and jumpers achieved personal records, including the boys 4×800 meter qualifying for Penn Relays. The Highlanders hope to repeat their success this week against the Patriots.

“Knowing that we have very strong runners I hope we can sweep a good amount of the races,” sophomore Mark Mendonsa said. “We can definitely have similar success to Washington-Liberty in the 4×800 and 4×100 as we have a lot of strong mid distance runners and sprinters”