Athletes train for Special Olympics basketball games

McLean athletes hope for a win at first tournament of the year
Athletes+work+on+hand-eye+coordination+by+practicing+passing+drills+with+partners.+
Kaelyn MacKay
Athletes work on hand-eye coordination by practicing passing drills with partners.

Update: The Jan. 6 tournament has been canceled due to the winter weather forecast.

Athletes in McLean’s special education program are preparing for their upcoming basketball tournament during the annual Special Olympics. The tournament will be held at Heritage High School on Jan. 6 at 10 a.m. and 12 p.m. The following tournaments on Jan. 21 and Feb. 11 have undecided times and locations.

Practices are held weekly after school in the upper gym, consisting of a variety of stretching, warm ups, drills and scrimmages to prepare the Highlanders for a victory. 

“We review dribbling, shooting, and reaction time,” said Special Olympics coach Mark Thompson, McLean’s special education department chair.

Student athletes practice dribbling and aiming during training scrimmages. (Kaelyn MacKay)

“In a game, there’s a lot of moving pieces which we need to prepare for.”

Students enjoy refining their technique and working on communication skills while also building team bonds.

“My favorite part of practice is spending time with [teammates], playing hard and working on my basketball skills,” junior Caleb Devore said. “I hope to focus on improving my free throws and moving closer to the hoop.”

Games are held tournament style, consisting of two games each. In previous years, four tournaments were held annually.

“Unfortunately, due to lack of court space after the pandemic, our Special Olympics tournaments got cut down to three,” Thompson said.

With the hopes of enjoyment and a win resulting in their upcoming game, the students and coaches continue to work hard in preparation.

“My goal is to have fun,” Thompson said. “I love seeing my students [walking] off the court smiling.”

Students and parents are welcome to cheer on the athletes by supporting them in the crowd this weekend.

View Comments (2)
$210
$1000