McLean girls varsity softball heads to regional finals after crushing South Lakes

Highlanders to move on to regional finals in blowout win

McLean teammember Taylor Staats at bat showcasing her bunting skills.

McLean’s varsity girls softball team delivered a resounding victory over South Lakes High School in the regional semifinals game on May 26, dominating their opponents with a 10-0 mercy win in just five innings. Their impressive performance propels them to the regional finals, where they will face off against James Madison High School on May 31.

The Highlanders demonstrated their prowess on the field, with standout players like Maddie Staats launching a powerful home run in the second inning, while Hailey Simpson consistently struck out opposing players.

“There was a rush of excitement running through my body after that hit when I saw my team come out to the plate,” Staats said.

The team has had an excellent season, with a record of 10-2 in the Liberty District. 

“Our regular season went really well, we only lost 2 games,” said freshman left fielder Gennie Fagan. “It prepared us for districts and regionals because it made us feel confident going into our next games.”

Sophomore Hailey Simpson pitched the entire game for the Highlanders, shutting South Lakes out with zero runs.

“I was so comfortable knowing my team had my back,” Simpson said. “Their high energy really transferred over to how I pitched.”

While the Highlanders were triumphant in their blowout win on Friday, they are facing fiercer competition for their upcoming game against the Madison Warhawks.

“Our game against Madison is going to be a very competitive game and we are going to play our best,” Fagan said.

The overwhelming win against South Lakes put the team in high spirits and bolstered their confidence ahead of the anticipated tough game against Madison. 

“After defeating South Lakes [with the mercy rule] in the semis it made us feel upbeat and ready for our next game against Madison,” Fagan said.  

Nevertheless, the squad has had a successful season and is proud of how far they have come. 

”I think this year’s season is really taking a new turn. I believe the reason we have been playing so well is because we really have trust in each other which has strengthened us,” Staats said. “It really feels like a second family to rely on when you need a spark to get you back going.”