Athlete Kara Bremser continues breaking records

Junior concludes winter season with success

Tanner Coerr

Junior Kara Bremser (rightmost player on the front row) poses with the girls basketball team after defeating the rival Langley Saxons on Feb. 16.

Junior Student-athlete Kara Bremser has been on the varsity basketball team for her entire three-year career at McLean High School. Since joining the team, she has smashed two records, one for the school and another for the entire D.C. metropolitan area.

On Dec. 22, Bremser broke the McLean girls basketball record for most points scored in a single game. She scored 33 points in one game against John R. Lewis High School, breaking last year’s previous record of 32 points, scored by former student Elizabeth Dufrane.

“I didn’t know I broke it until I heard my friends screaming in the stands and holding up 33 with their fingers, and then I remembered that I had broken a school record,” Bremser said.

Bremser also gained recognition for making the most 3-pointers of any girls basketball player in the capital area, according to The Washington Post.

“My McLean assistant coach, who is also my head travel basketball coach, sent me the article congratulating me on getting recognized in the Post,” Bremser said.

Bremser began playing in kindergarten and developed her skills on the court through extensive practice. She’s worked not just during official sessions, but at home too.

“The amount of work she puts in day in and day out to be the best is remarkable,” varsity girls head coach Jen Sobota said.

Despite the encouragement the rankings have provided, Bremser finds herself drawn to the sport because of its competitive nature and personal connection to the game.

“I love the sport. It makes it really fun when I aim to beat a record, especially because I’m specifically working towards something,” Bremser said.

Her friends, family, and coaches are extremely proud of her success and improvement throughout the years.

“Kara has solidified herself as one of the best to ever wear a McLean basketball uniform. When she came in as a freshman, I knew that she was going to be a key to our success for years to come,” Sobota said. “She is one of the hardest working kids I have ever coached.”

Her hard work has also been supplemented by plenty of support from friends.

“My friends come to every game that they can, and I love it,” Bremser said. “They’re so supportive of me, which makes me more excited to play.”
Looking to the future, Bremser has high hopes for senior year as her second-to-last season comes to a close.

“I think we will be really good next year,” Bremser said. “I hope to beat another record before going off to college.”