School to host virtual international night

For the first time since its debut, McLean’s international night will be held completely online

Stella Keum, Copy editor

As McLean High School is partially open for in-person learning, the once empty hallways of McLean are now being filled in again. However, due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, some school events are being held virtually. The International Night held by the McLean International Club is one of those events, which will be held on Friday, March 5th in the library Blackboard Collaborate Ultra (BBCU) room at 7:00 p.m.
“We will be sharing videos of performances that are currently compiled up right now,” said Songhan Pang, project manager of the International Night. “We have a whole compilation of different performances where [there] are students performing K-Pop choreography, a girl singing in Indonesian, and someone who is doing a traditional Chinese dance [among] other things.”
International night aspires to bring people together, especially at a time where a majority of students are connecting with each other through chat messages and grey profile photos in BBCU.
“The goal [of international night] is to celebrate different cultures of McLean and [making] sure that everybody feels welcome and connected,” Pang said. “[Through] this event, everybody [would be able to] show their different colors, celebrating who we are.”
Although the decision to go virtual has created some drawbacks like the cancellation of the fashion show and food sharing, the virtual environment made it easier to access the event.
“[Attending the International Night] will be a very easy experience as people just need to log on to [BBCU through the library],” Pang said.
With the event coming close, various students are showing their excitement for the unique opportunity they will have today.
“It’s remarkable how art and music can bring an audience together, regardless of the circumstances [we are in],” said Junior Alicia Kang. “I’m really excited to see the amazing performance prepared for the event.”
Students can join the BBCU session by following the instructions posted by the International Club.