Coronavirus (COVID-19) comes to Fairfax County

Coronavirus arrives in Fairfax and Fairfax County is trying to respond to it

Taken from the BBC

Sam Naemi, Reporter

According to a Fox 5 reporter, there have been nine cases so far reported of coronavirus in Virginia. The first case in Fairfax County appeared late February, “The person is resident of the city of Fairfax and is in their 80s. Health officials say the person traveled on a similar Nile River cruise as other positive COVID-19 patients, developing symptoms of respiratory illness on Feb. 28. The person was hospitalized on March 5, remaining in stable condition,” says CBS 19. While Fairfax County has two cases, neighboring counties, Arlington, Spotsylvania, and Loudoun each have a coronavirus case.

Fairfax County and their health department has taken multiple steps to combat the coronavirus. Fairfax County is coordinating their effort to combat the coronavirus with the Virginia Department of Health and the CDC (Center for Disease Control). They have set up a process to work closely with the individual who is infected, their family, and their medical provider to minimize the risk of further infection of other people and a speedy and thorough recover of the person infected.

They have set up a process to inform people who might have gotten in contact with a coronavirus-infected person on how to monitor their health and tell whether or not they need extra attention from medical professionals. They assure the residents of Fairfax County that they are ready and prepared to respond to a serious outbreak.

Fairfax County Public Schools have coordinated their own response to the coronavirus. Today FCPS came out with their response to the worry that schools might need to be closed for a long period of time that is summarized here.

On the Fairfax County Public School website they has their entire archive of their statements about coronavirus which you can find here. In case of further action needed to be taken by FCPS they have several action plans in place. If someone at a FCPS school contract the coronavirus and they are isolated to that school only they will close that school and any related school. They will not close other schools if it isn’t necessary.

Their alternative plan is to close school to students and have it open for teachers and staff who want to come in “to support continuity of learning.” They will use the “snow days” taken into account in the scheduling of the school year to close school. Regardless of what happens, all FCPS international field trips have been suspended through June 30.