Fighting for a more inclusive curriculum

Students meet to discuss trying to change the curriculum to include more of the LGBTQ+ community

Incorporating inclusion-Junior Sanjna Kaul is shown explaining the project. She describes what this change would mean, what classes it would effect, and the steps of the process (Photo taken by Cordelia Lawton).

Cordelia Lawton, News Editor

Junior Sanjna Kaul held a meeting Nov. 6 after school to suggest making changes to the school curriculum to allow the LGBTQ+ community to be more included in all English and history classes. This could be done in a number of ways such as reading a piece of literature about or by a member of the queer community.

“I just hope it will become less of a hush-hush topic,” Kaul said. “I feel like the queer community is seen as separate from the rest of society, not always in a bad way but separate nonetheless.”

There is a lot that will need to be done to make this change reality.

“Right now we are focusing on creating lesson plans for teachers at McLean,” Kaul said. “We can [then] hand it back to teachers and [ask if they] can try to teach two of these throughout the course of a year or semester.”

She then wants to get feedback on the lessons by the end of the year.

“That’s going to be difficult to talk about considering first quarter is already over and the lesson plans have not been made, but I’m hoping to distribute lesson plans by February,” Kaul said. “I really want to start moving [to push a] curriculum  [change in] Fairfax County by early next year.”

Would you support changes to the curriculum to include more of the LGBTQ community?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Sophomore Nya Barton went to the meeting and is excited to work towards making this idea a reality.

“I’m part of the community and I have always wanted to make an impact,” Barton said. “I want people to be more aware of the community and respect it more.”

Kaul encourages more people to join.

“If you’re interested, please come,” Kaul said.

Enlarge

eduGAYtion_flyer-1
Making this a reality-This flyer shows when the next meeting for the project is. Any new members are welcome (Image courtesy of Sanjna Kaul).