Swimming to a better way of learning

Oceanography students get tanks in their classrooms

Sebastian Jimenez

Pictured are student tanks in Andrew Diller and Kate Hoefer’s classroom. Students enrolled in oceanography are able to observe their very own living ecosystem because of this project.

Zach Anderson, Copy Editor

A lot of classrooms this year are implementing computers as a way to get a better education. For oceanography students, however fish tanks are being used to get a better grasp on topics learned in the class.

“The fish tanks are a year long project that oceanography students are completing,” senior Miranda Ma said. “This project is to help us learn more first-hand about creatures, like different types of [fish], and how outside, environmental factors might affect them.”

Students have to keep their fish alive and keep a balanced pH and water quality all year. As for time spent out of class, there is no major time commitment. Still, students must keep the fish that they purchased alive.

“My group members and I are splitting days amongst each other to either visit, feed [or] clean the [fish] and their tanks,” Ma said. “That means each of us will be seeing the [fish] at least once a week besides the time in class.”

When signing up for the class, students had no idea that they would be taking on such a big task.

“The fish tanks project was introduced half way into [the] first quarter, but the project will be for the whole duration of the year,” Ma said. “We spent a whole class period cleaning the tanks and the filters, before filling them up and buying the [fish].”

Obviously, just because they signed up for the class not knowing what they would be taking on does not mean that they will not enjoy this project. In fact, it seems to be quite the opposite.

“I think the fish tanks are a great idea to get students more involved in class. It’s not too much of a responsibility, but it’s still pretty important to keep up with cause it’s still a live creature to take care of. Overall, it keeps the class fun and the students more engaged,” Ma said.

Want to find out which part of the fish tank you would be? Click here!