High hopes for homecoming

McLean Leadership offers insight into how it  prepared for homecoming.

Back to Article
Back to Article

High hopes for homecoming

The hard work has paid off.  Highlanders enjoy the pep rally.

The hard work has paid off. Highlanders enjoy the pep rally.

Ben Brooks

Ben Brooks

Ben Brooks

Thomas Lohman, Reporter

McLean students cheer on the football team while eating snacks that they bought at Hoco Fest’s food trucks, and this just night 1. The next night, hundreds of students dance together at a Candy Land themed party.

While the festivities continue seamlessly, McLean Leadership students know how much work it takes to make homecoming a success.

“First we vote on a theme and then we split into committees,” said senior and Leadership student Natalie flint

For weeks the Leadership students work in their given committees, such as Tuff Puff, pep rally, or Natalie’s committee, the halftime show. 

“ I was in the halftime committee, so I was planning out homecoming courts,” said Flint. 

To prepare for such a large event, the leadership students begin making decorations two weeks in advance. And while most Highlanders are still sleeping after an exciting homecoming football game, Leadership students, such as Flint, are hanging up decorations in the cafeteria and gym at 8:00 am, Saturday. 

“Everyone works together to make and hang up banners, posters, and decorations,” said Flint.

Flint recommends that everyone try to join Leadership in their junior or senior year. 

“It teaches you a lot about organization and planning, and it’s also really fun to be involved in a big school event,” said Flint.