Girls tennis comes to a close

Dana+Edson+and+Michelle+Martinkov+celebrate+their+second+place+win+in+the+regional+finals.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Girls tennis comes to a close

Dana Edson and Michelle Martinkov celebrate their second place win in the regional finals.

Photo from McLean Athletics Twitter

Photo from McLean Athletics Twitter

Photo from McLean Athletics Twitter

Katie Romhilt, Reporter

After a long and successful season for doubles partners sophomore Dana Edson and freshman Michelle Martinkov, their season eventually came to an end at the Regional finals, where they places second.

The girls faced a tough match-up against Marshall’s top players. Edson and Martinkov lost 6-1, 6-0 to two Division 1 commits, senior Ashley Fitz-Patrick, committed to George Mason, and junior Reilly Tran, committed to UNC. 

Nonetheless, Edson and Martinkov had a very successful season. At Yorktown, on May 15, Edson and Martinkov won the Liberty District Doubles Championship. In addition to winning Doubles, Martinkov won Liberty District Single Championships. 

“I was really excited that I got so far in the singles and really proud of how well Dana and I played together as a team,” Martinkov said. 

Martinkov went on to win third for Regional Singles, by default. Her opponent withdrew from the match because of injuries. 

See below how the boys season went.