Mixed matches for boys tennis

McLean boys tennis places first and second in Liberty Disrtict tournament

Sebastian Jimenez, Managing Editor

Dana Edson
Sophomores Harsh Dhayal and Brandon Winegarden after their match. They placed second in the finals match against Yorktown.
Photo by Dana Edson

McLean boys varsity tennis had a successful run at the Liberty District tournament, making the finals for both singles and doubles.

On May 15, Harsh Dhayal won the finals of the Liberty District tournament in a grueling three-set match against Alex Yu from Langley. Following his singles victory on May 16, Dhayal and Brandon Winegarden placed second in doubles.

Over the span of the past two weeks, first and second-ranked singles players and doubles teams competed fighting for the Liberty title. Representing McLean boys, varsity tennis players Harsh Dhayal, Brandon Winegarden, Ethan Magne, and Oscar Tidd competed.

Despite early losses in singles for Winegarden and in doubles for Magne and Tidd, Dhayal continued his winning streak in singles and doubles with Winegarden.

Dhayal won his semifinal match against Yorktown’s number one player, Tommy McGuire, landing him a spot in the finals against Langley number one, Alex Yu.

The singles semifinals were followed by a three-set doubles semifinal match for Winegarden and Dhayal that spanned two days.

“I was nervous, but I knew if we played our game we could win,”  Winegarden said.

They fought hard against South Lakes number one doubles Aban Gerayeli and Grant Redington winning 7-6 (7-5), 3-6, 7-5.

“They were a good team, but I felt like we played pretty well,” Winegarden said.  

Dhayal played another three-set match for the singles championship beating Yu 3-6, 7-5, 6-2 to win the title.

Alongside Dhayal’s singles victory, Winegarden and Dhayal battled Yorktown’s Tommy McGuire and Aidan Stroup in the doubles final losing 7-5, 6-3.

“I was disappointed but proud with the run we made,” Winegarden said.