Organized advocacy

Ryan McElveen is spearheading a proposal to allow students to protest in an organized manner

Camille Blakemore, Reporter

Enlarge

timeline
Photo 1 courtesy of Siddarth Shankar. Photo 2 taken by Maren Kranking. Photo 3 taken by Anna Brykczynski.

While just one school shooting is too many, last year’s extreme excess pushed students to action. From protesting on Capitol Hill at the March For Our Lives, to holding a Parkland vigil on McLean’s football field, students both locally and nationally have demonstrated to the world that they will not be complacent. They will not accept “thoughts and prayers”. Condolences are merely words, and students demand action.

Ryan McElveen, school board member at-large, submitted a proposal aiming to improve standards for students who wish to make their voices heard.

“[The proposal is] asking the school board to consider giving one designated advocacy day for students each year,” McElveen said. “This would be an excused absence where they could go and lobby the state government, the federal government, engage in a protest or other civic activity.”

McElveen draws his inspiration for the measure from the advocacy of the Parkland survivors.

“In their memory, I have submitted a proposal that would allow FCPS students in grades 7-12 to be excused from school once per year to participate in civic engagement activities,” McElveen said.

Students were intrigued by the idea.

“I think that in theory, the idea is great. It promotes student engagement in the community, and would allow students to be more civically involved,” senior Shannon Stockero said. “Furthermore, the day would highlight Fairfax County’s support of student involvement and action. It’s imperative for students to understand that if they believe in something, their voices should be heard and that their community will support their voice.”

Stockero also voiced concerns about students taking advantage of the day off.

“My fear is that the day would be abused by students to simply have an excused absence. The school board would need to comprise a way that students could prove their civic engagement so that the purpose of the day is not used in vain.”

Senior class president Ava Liberty, who helped organize the Parkland vigil, emphasized the importance of activism.

“We need to do something to show our support, no matter how far away we are,” Liberty said.
In a rousing call, Liberty asserted the dire need for joining the fight.

“As high schoolers, we all need to come together against this, and make sure something is done about it.”

Activism is not only essential in the gun reform movement, but also as a civic responsibility. A proposal supporting engagement issued by FCPS could help students feel more encouraged to take a stand. Last year, some students were discouraged from attending the walkouts by their teachers.

“Students should be ensured that the community is supporting them such that teachers and administrators cannot reprimand a student for missing a class period or activity due to the absence,” Stockero said.