Call of Duty: Black Ops 4’s “Dead of The Night” Zombies DLC fails to revive its community.

Black Ops 4: Zombies' new map has failed to intrigue its community with a boring story, no large additions to game play, and mediocre map design.

Back to Article
Back to Article

Treyarch

Treyarch

Treyarch

Jackson Clayton, Reporter

In my previous article, “Black Ops 4 Zombies Review: Almost perfect” I reviewed the on-disc maps for Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 Zombies, and the game’s developers, Treyarch recently released its first DLC on December 18th 2018, but it’s very disappointing and fails to revive the fading community.

Dead of the Night stars a new group of characters, voiced by Kiefer Sutherland, Helena Bonham Carter, Brian Blessed and Charles Dance, as a precursor to IX and Voyage of Despair, and adds nothing to the plot other than setting up the main villain of the story.      Dead of the Night is set in a mansion in England where Alistair Rhodes, father of Scarlet Rhodes, the protagonist of the previous maps “IX” and “Voyage of despair”, is presumably murdered by the new overarching antagonist, a butler named Godfrey.

Dead of the Night has done little to intrigue the fading community with anything story-wise, since it includes events that we already know occurred. Treyarch could have easily continued their other story line from “Blood of the Dead” and “IX” and gained the attention of many more players, but their mostly nonexistent advertising campaign proves that Treyarch wasn’t confident about this map.

The map brings little to the table game play-wise other than new Werewolf and Vampire enemies, which act exactly like the “Blight fathers” from IX, and is a very generic setting compared to the locations of most Zombie maps, the playable characters also share lots of previous traits with previous characters.

Rating: C-