Black Ops 4 Zombies Review: Almost perfect

Black Ops 4 Zombies has good changes to the formula, but suffers from bugs and glitches.

Jackson Clayton, Reporter

The fan favorite co-op Zombies mode returns in Call of Duty: Black Ops 4, marking its 10th anniversary. The mode pits players against infinite waves of increasingly more difficult zombies, allowing them to upgrade their armory to aid them against the hordes. Black Ops 4 has 3 on disc Zombies maps: IX, Voyage of Despair and Blood of the Dead.

IX stars four new characters as they are pitted against the undead in a Romanesque Colosseum. The map is incredibly detailed and is one of the few Call of Duty: Zombies maps that is both fun to survive in for as long as possible and still includes a large Easter egg quest, which can be completed by solving tasks.

Voyage of Despair is set on a replica the RMS Titanic, the map also stars the new characters from IX. It takes much longer for players to explore the entire RMS Titanic and finishing waves can take much longer because it can be hard to find the last few zombies, which makes Voyage of Despair a much slower and more boring experience.

Blood of the Dead stars returning characters from Call of Duty: Black Ops 3 Zombies, who are been trapped on Alcatraz, and need to escape by solving the Easter egg quest. The map is able to reach a middle-ground between IX and Voyage of Despair, with rewarding game play and great map design.

Treyarch, the developers of Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 Zombies, has made many changes to the Zombies formula to aid new players when trying to survive the undead, including a new fast-paced “Rush” mode, the option to choose your difficulty, the ability to play with computer controlled players and a tutorial mode.

Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 Zombies also introduces player customization, which lets players chose the weapons they start with, the perks that they would like to have when playing and a new special ability that recharges over time.

But, Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 Zombies has lots of glitches that have yet to be fixed by the developers, and many players are experiencing game crashes.

After about 15 hours of total play time, I give the on-disc maps of Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 Zombies a B-, because the maps are a lot of fun to play, but still have lots of glitches and balance issues in its current state.

Rating: B-