All good things must come to an end

Pragya Dhungana, Reporter

Photo obtained via Google under the senior tradition

Relief. Sadness. Exhaustion. Anticipation. The last day of school brings forth a variety of feelings for students and teachers alike.

Seniors, participating in the Highlander Internships Program waved goodbye to their fellow classmates and teachers on May.18. Highlander Internships is a two-week program designed in creating an opportunity to explore a possible area of interest in college and provide experiences that will be beneficial for future.

Parents might probably be wondering where the years have gone. It does not seem today that years ago these seniors were toddlers. High school holds millions of memories in every student’s heart. Years have passed, the technology has improved and fashions has been changed, yet the characteristics of the last day of school still remain same.

Several seniors will head off to college from August. Seniors compacted together on Mclean will spread throughout the country. Every upperclassman will be studying several fields of education in college. The Highlander Internship programs let students explore and learn more about their future career interests. Students will be interning in the field of science, health, technology, environment, law and many other possible areas.

“I will be interning at a nursing school and shadowing an occupational therapist,” senior Anna Glenn said. “Highlander Internship Program is a great way to know more about your career choices. It gives you an opportunity to see if you will like your dream jobs when it comes to the real world. I am also very sad about last day of school as I am officially leaving my childhood behind.”

Every senior must do a presentation on June 1 explaining the audience about their internships experiences. However, some upperclassmen argue that internships do not always prove to be beneficial.

“I am not interested in highlander internships. I volunteered previously on a hospital to know more about the physical therapist. But I never really learned anything great about a physical therapist. While I wish internships would give students a more job-specific education,” senior Layla Wideman said.

As the bell rings for the last time, the students walk slowly out of the room, offering their goodbyes, best wishes, and telling the teachers that they’ll miss them, the words are sweet and wonderful to hear, but they make it hard for teachers to keep the tears at bay.

“I wish everyone good luck. High school and college serve a huge role in shaping every student’s future,” English teacher Susan Copsey said.