Earth’s natural beauty reaches McLean’s surface

Students use art to convey messages about environmental issues

On May 3, junior Lauren Grobman works on her endangered species chalk drawing of an antelope.

Imani McCormick

Imani McCormick

Alex Mandanas & Imani McCormick, A&E Editor & Managing Editor

Students in the Digital Arts 1 class create honest travel posters for Earth Day and are on display in McLean’s art gallery. (Photo by Imani McCormick)

Every April, Earth Day reminds us to celebrate and raise awareness about the life essentials we take for granted. McLean’s Art Department chose to use their artistic talents to highlight the importance of nature in our lives and outline inimical issues in today’s environment.

The Digital Art 1 class was assigned to create an endangered species project, which students could design in three different forms: an honest travel poster, an endangered species series, or an infographic. All final projects are in the art gallery at the front of the school.

Digital graphics teacher Jennifer Jensen wanted to give students the freedom to express their outlooks on nature in a unique way that makes an impression on the outside world.

“It is important to see how art can impact things like Earth Day and how we can make a difference with our art. That’s really what I wanted to do with this project. I think it kind of made students more aware of what’s going on in the world, whether it be pollution or endangered species,” Jensen said.

On the glass exterior of the art gallery, students in the Art Honor Society painted rich blue waves and glued on pieces of trash and plastic to depict ocean pollution.

“I believe art is one of the most effective ways of communicating issues because it challenges the artist to find a genuine way to convey the problem and at the same time cate the eye of the viewers,” said Daniel Heilbron, who worked on the wave painting. “My goal is to show the severity of pollution in the ocean, specifically of plastics.”

Other art classes took the liberty of doing chalk drawings of endangered species on the sidewalk near the Rock.

“It is important to raise awareness for endangered animals because they are sadly so many of them and it is important to take care of the planet we all live on. I hope that when people look at our art they realize that all the animals are endangered and become more aware of the issue,” junior Lindsey Stirling said.

On May 3, juniors Nathalie Guerro and Lindsey Stirling drew a vibrantly colored seahorse for their endangered species project. (Photo by Imani McCormick)

Just like a chalk drawing or an honest travel poster, nature is art and the best way to celebrate it is to highlight it’s most beautiful parts.

I think it is important to show people the beauty of nature and help people see that there are so many things we take for granted,” junior Nadya Steare said.