Juniors take advantage of College Planning Night

Admissions officers provide McLean students with college admissions advice

The panel of admissions officers shared advice that pertained to selecting and applying to colleges.

Jessie Friedman, Website Editor-in-Chief

The McLean High School auditorium was filled with students and parents on Thursday, Feb. 8th as many juniors took the opportunity to hear from a panel of five admissions officers. The panel included Jennifer Nelson from Northern Virginia Community College, Sean Lewis from the University of Dayton, Barry Bradberry from Elon University, Kate Perry from the College of William and Mary, and Daniel Zawachi from The George Washington University.

Emily Simons, one of the juniors in attendance, took advantage of College Planning Night to hear from admissions personnel who could possibly be reading her applications.

“I went because I appreciated the opportunity to talk to actual admissions officers that are on the other side of the process,” Simons said.

The admissions officers covered a wide range of topics that included the advantages of community college, the factors that should influence which types of colleges one should apply to, how colleges select students, the different deadlines for different application plans, and more.

Junior Dan Arnold also appreciated the opportunity that College Planning Night provided for him.

“It was definitely a learning experience,” Arnold said. “Now I feel more ready and confident for the college process.”