U.S. High School Diplomats provides unique opportunity for students

Caroline Brunner, Senior

Students, have you ever expressed interest in International Relations? Would you like to spend part of your summer all-expenses-paid at an Ivy League University? Do you want to make memories and friendships you’ll never forget with Americans across the country and Japanese students across the world? If you answered yes to any of these, apply to HSD!

What is High School Diplomats?

• Cross cultural exchange between 40 Japanese and 40 American students
  • Wednesday, July 25th – Sunday, August 5th, 2018 at Princeton University
  • All expenses paid

What Happens at HSD?

• American students receive a Japanese roommate and they develop a bond over the ten days
  • Prior to the stay at Princeton, there is a short homestay where you can show your roommate what you like to do in your hometown and what daily American life is like
  • Students educate each other with presentations about different aspects of life in their country, like education, social issues, government, and regional characteristics
  • American students attend Japanese class everyday where they not only learn how to speak and write a bit of the language, but participate in fun cultural activities like making sushi and origami!
  • Students participate in engaging Diplomat talks to discuss world issues
  • Throughout the program there are theme days, games, trips into town, and parties that all shape HSD into an incredibly fun experience!

How Do I Apply?

• All current sophomores and juniors are eligible to apply
  • HSD 2018 Application (available online 9/15/2017 – 1/8/2018) at: www.highschooldiplomats.com
  • Applicants selected for interviews will be contacted by mid-February to schedule an interview. Interviews (in-person or Skype depending on location) take place between late February and March. Acceptance will be determined and final notification given by mid-April 2018.
  • Questions? Contact the American Director, Mrs. Celine Zapolski at (571) 234-5072 or [email protected]

Message from HSD Alumni and McLean High School Senior Caroline Brunner:

Hi everyone! I attended HSD this past summer and had the time of my life. I was unsure about the program at first because I did not have an intense interest in international relations, but I quickly learned that HSD is so much more than that. HSD is about forming friendships, learning things about other people, whether they were from Tokyo, Japan, or Houston, Texas, and just having a fun time! I loved discussing social issues like bullying and gun control at the Diplomat Talks with my fellow American and Japanese students, and then having a Halloween celebration complete with watching spooky movies, eating candy, and going through a haunted house shortly after! I made incredible bonds with the Japanese students whom I still text and skype today, and I have even met up with many of the American students I attended the program with since. The HSD class of 2017 was made up of ice skaters, violinists, mathematicians, soccer stars, and so many more unique passions! The diversity of interests among the Japanese and American High School Diplomats is what truly made the program interesting. There is no specific “type” that fits the HSD criteria, so don’t be turned away if you don’t know a ton about Japan or want to be a doctor in the future rather than a foreign service agent! I encourage you all to apply, please Facebook message me or email me at [email protected] with any questions about the program or applying!