Environmental Club gears up to take action

Club sponsor reveals exciting plans and goals for the 2017-18 year school year

McLean High School garden is located at the back of the school. (Photo by Marguerite Godwin)

Marguerite Godwin, Reporter

The Environmental Club has a new sponsor and is ready for a fresh batch of enthusiastic members after their first club meeting on Sept. 28.

“I’m really excited to be working with the Environmental club this year… I’ve always had an avid interest in helping our environment,” club sponsor Cara Mosley said.

The Environmental Club works to make McLean High School more eco-friendly by encouraging the use of recycling bins, planting greenery in the gardens, brainstorming ideas to better the school and much more. For this year’s goals, they plan on broadening their interests to not only McLean High School but also other environmental organizations.

“We plan for a couple of outings to do clean up or planting with outside organizations and help with whatever they need from us. Hopefully with Dr. Reilly’s permission we can work on a small veggie garden or have some more native plants around the school building which will hopefully encourage butterflies to visit,” Mosley said.

Also on their agenda, the club is looking for new members who are interested in joining  their team of environmentalists. Mosley believes that with the help of bright, young people, a lot of good can come to McLean and other communities.

“If we do it the right way, we can make a positive impact with more help by taking care of our gardens around the school so things don’t get overgrown. I hope other classes, not just my own, will get involved,” Mosley said.

The Environmental Club is very easy to join, as they accept any and all who come to meetings. It is also not a big time commitment–meetings are held once or twice a month in room B171. Thursday, Sept. 28, was their first meeting. They planned on going over protocol and solidifying their schedule and upcoming plans. 

“Our biggest priority is gaining new members. We hope that more people will come to our meetings and join this year,” Mosley said.