Natitude sweeps through McLean

Students enjoy the Washington Nationals’ superb start to the 2017 season

Jessie Friedman, Reporter

Despite the end to the Washington Capitals and Washington Wizards seasons, the remarkably hot start to the Washington Nationals’ season has given McLean students and D.C. sports fans a reason to remain excited about local sports teams.

The Nationals’ hot start has largely been a consequence of the resurgence of veteran Ryan Zimmerman, an infielder who has played with the Nationals since their first season in 2005. Zimmerman struggled in the 2016 season, posting a career-low .218 batting average. Nationals fans watched Zimmerman intently as he struggled throughout the year, hoping that he would be able to overcome his slump.

Ryan Zimmerman, 1st baseman for the Washington Nationals (Image obtained via a creative commons license)

As spring training for the 2017 season began, many fans had given up on Zimmerman, believing that the 32-year-old was ‘past his prime’. Zimmerman quickly proved these doubters wrong, posting an unbelievable, MLB-leading batting average of .435 through April. His efforts were rewarded with the National League player of the month award. Zimmerman’s hot streak continues in May, and with it the success of the Nationals.

McLean students have been enjoying the high level of achievement the Nationals have been attaining this year. “It’s fun to have a good local baseball team to watch,” junior Christina Savory said.

A weekend trip to Nationals Park has become a popular activity for students. With an impressive record of 24-13, it’s not hard to see why the Nationals are attracting the attention of McLean students and Washington sports fans alike.