McLean Sources of Strength

The wheel of support, the iconic representation of of the different healthy support systems the organization recommends.

SourcesofStrength.org

Ingrid Morse, Editor-In-Chief

The mission of the McLean Sources of Strength team is to promote connections between peers and trusted adults and to create positive messaging campaigns that spread hope, help, and strength.

“We are a community outreach style program focused on providing hope and connecting individuals in need of support of any kind, with trusted adults and resources within McLean” senior and SOS member Avery Madore said.

The Sources of Strength wheel is used to help students identify and enhance the number of strengths is their lives. Posters made by McLean SOS members can be seen throughout the school spreading positive messages for students throughout the halls.

“We believe that many strengths are more powerful than one, and our united goal is to activate and mobilize these strengths in ways that positively change individuals and communities.”

— McLean Sources of Strength Mission Statement

“Additionally, we are currently working on what is essentially a spirit week to raise awareness of SOS’ presence in the school and make sure students know people are out there who can help,” Madore said.

Earlier in the school year, the Sources of Strength National Trainers came to McLean High School for a two-day interactive training, where 11 staff/faculty member and 37 students were able to participate in activities specially designed to connect with and develop their personal and leadership qualities, as well as their social influences. This was done to help individuals identify ways to lead the charge in creating norming and culture change campaigns by using strength-based messaging to improve our student’s mental health.

“[Now] this February we have partnered with the McLean Theater to host a Mental Health Awareness Week Feb 13th-17th to coincide with their play, The Children’s Hour,” Systems of Support Advisor Nick Corsi said.

The goal of their upcoming events will be to raise awareness for mental health disorders as well as provide points of contact and support for people in crisis to connect with.

“We want this knowledge spread throughout the school and see this become a consistent and recurring event throughout the school for years to come,” Madore said.