Counting America’s vote

The app Countable makes it simple to contact Congress

The app Countable allows its patrons to keep tabs on their elected leaders on The Hill.

Alex Mandanas and Imani McCormick, A&E Editor, Copy Editor

Imani McCormick
Become an acCountable citizen by setting up your Countable account.

From marches to protests, millions of people have expressed their opposition towards the United States’ current political policies. Americans across the country, including Donald Trump, are using social media as a platform to communicate their political opinions.

Countable is an app, available on the App Store and Google Play store, for those who would like to learn about which laws Congress is considering. The user-friendly application allows individuals to contact legislators directly.

“It is important that lawmakers take people’s views into consideration when creating laws, as legislators rule with the consent of the governed,” sophomore Jana Kral said.

It is “bigly” that citizens seek a stronger voice in federal policies. Beyond keeping track of the legislative actions in Congress, it is imperative that the populace not only has an understanding of politics but they challenge diplomatic ideas and participate in political discourse.

“It’s important for teens to be politically informed so that they can see and have genuine discussions on topics that people may disagree on. If all teens were informed, I believe that they would have a better understanding of the world around them,” freshman Hershel Carrillo-Klein said.

After becoming an informed citizen with structured political beliefs, they are called to communicate with their government and their leaders. Contacting our leaders and making our voices heard is a civic responsibility.

“Teens should speak to their representatives because even though they do not get to vote for them, they are still representing them. It is important to tell your congressperson your opinion because [the government wants people] to vote the way people think. It is also important because teens need to be involved in politics in order to be prepared to vote and select leaders that would suit their best interests,” Carrillo-Klein said.

Countable makes staying informed and contacting your representative a straightforward and minimalistic. The app caters to all your political news needs — tabs for updates on reports, discovering personal interest, ways to manage in-app activity, profiles about political candidates, and contact information to your representatives on the Hill.

The app’s sleek and clean design is aesthetically pleasing to the eye. Although the overall layout is  The setup differs from most news applications. The engrossing content makes up for the unusual tab structure. Each feature presents itself in an Instagram-like scrolling format for easy access. Despite the informative makeup, the non-sequential presentation of news stories hides vital aspects of what the app should display in a candid way.

Nevertheless, the app is a success. It tackles the important duty of keeping the public acquainted with legislation and in touch local representatives.