Model United Nations update

McLean’s MUN team attends TAEMUN conference

After the conference — McLean delegates pose for a picture after the conclusion of the conference. (Photo courtesy of Siddarth Shankar)

Young In Seo, Managing Editor

This past weekend on Dec. 9 and 10, McLean’s Model United Nations team attended the TAEMUN conference at Thomas A. Edison High School.

Many compelling topics were discussed at the conference and McLean delegates left the conference with new insights and knowledge.

Junior Jillian Pincus who was in the World Trade Organization (WTO) committee especially learned a lot about international trade barriers and minor flex agreements.

“We talked a lot about developing nations because, I actually didn’t realize this, it’s very difficult for developing nations to get into international trade,” Pincus said. “It’s difficult just because of how complicated everything is…so developing nations try to make programs with other developing nations.”

Although students attend MUN conferences to discuss resolutions to worldly problems, the conferences also provide an opportunity for McLean students to meet with students from other schools.

“We met a lot of people from other schools that we’d heard about before…but we’d never actually met each other so that was really cool,” Pincus said.

However, there were challenging aspects to the conference.

“There were so many good delegates in [our committee] so there were a lot of people trying to take over..That was a little difficult,” Pincus said.

After winter break, McLean MUN team will continue to press forward by attending CHMUN at Chantilly High School on Jan.6 and 7.