Creative community in the spotlight

Highlanders submit artwork to The Tartan literary magazine

Anya Chen, Reporter

Creative students who want to showcase their work can now submit art and/or writing for a chance to be featured in The Tartan literary magazine.

“We need work and writing that students are proud of and want to put out there for everyone to see,” said club sponsor Kenneth George, who also teaches Computer Graphics.

The Tartan is based entirely on students’ work and submissions, especially those who are interested in different areas of art. It gives Highlanders the opportunity to express themselves through an alternate artistic outlet as well as be part of a creative community.

“It’s a representation of some of the creative voices of both literary and visual art in this school,” George said.

Students who work on The Tartan are introduced to the publishing aspects of production as well.

“[Students] can learn about publishing and how to do layout and design to provide a greater voice to the artwork and writing through publishing softwares,” George said.

At the end of the school year, the published magazine will be revealed to the school, and students will be able to see the final product.

“Not only does [the magazine] share with the student body what these kids are capable of, but it gives students the chance to enhance their other hobbies and try something different, and maybe find something in themselves that they don’t usually acknowledge,” editor-in-chief senior Avery Kang said.

The magazine gives light to the more personal and more explorative side of students that normally may not have the chance to be seen.

“Hey school, this is what you are, and you’re a pretty cool student body,” Kang said.

Highlanders can submit their work via email to [email protected].