McLean TeensForFoodBanks fight against Fairfax County food insecurity

TeensForFoodBanks club urges students to apply for leadership roles
Members of the TeensForFoodBanks club posed during their November event. The club is currently accepting applications for leadership roles.

According to the Northern Virginia Magazine, in 2023, nearly 32% of those residing in Northern Virginia suffered from some form of food insecurity. The official Fairfax County website reported the same year, that despite the county having comparably lower food insecurity rates than other areas across the nation, it fared as the most food-insecure county in Virginia.

Since 2020, students have been organizing volunteer events to raise money for local food banks through the McLean TeensForFoodBanks club. These events are hosted at the Arlington Food and Assistance Center (AFAC) and Share of McLean location, both being local food banks that have collaborated alongside McLean students since the club was initiated.

“One of the most fulfilling aspects of being part of this club is the shared sense of purpose and the [accomplishing] feeling of making a real impact on the lives of other people,” club vice president Alan Wang said. “It’s very easy for many of us to take daily meals for granted without realizing how fortunate we are to always know where our next meal will come from.”

Since the creation of the club, it has successfully donated over 13,206 pounds of food to support local food banks. However, with a mass exodus of senior leaders graduating in the following year, TeensForFoodBanks is urging students interested in helping combat local food insecurity to apply for leadership roles to keep the club thriving. Applications have already opened and will be accessible through the TeensForFoodBanks website. The deadline for applications will be April 20.

“Many students will view volunteer work as just a task to fulfill the college application requirement. Upon joining, students quickly realize that the true reward lies not in the service hours they receive, but in the positive impact they make by helping others,” club president Yantang Li said. “This is why I strongly encourage Mclean students to participate in TeensForFoodBanks. Our organization represents a collective force, addressing the issue of food insecurity by making an impact at the local level.”

Numerous crucial roles are currently open for students to apply for. One such role includes the director of operations, who is tasked with ensuring that organized events run smoothly, and training new volunteers. The media coordinator and outreach manager positions are also open, charged with creating visually engaging flyers, managing the social media content and expanding the TeensForFoodBanks network through the partnerships and the recruiting of new volunteers.

“Our selection criteria is designed to be simple and straightforward. We are looking for students who are effective communicators and can collaborate in a team, as well complete tasks with diligence,” Wang said. “We want to have reliable individuals who are ready to dedicate themselves to our cause.”

While it is a given that active members will have greater insight into the club’s operations and activities, club leaders are adamant that all students should apply regardless of experience for the betterment of the club.

“We hope to give this opportunity to anyone who is a strong leader that can inspire students toward our collective goal,” Wang said.

The next TeensForFoodBanks volunteer event is set to be near the weekend of April 27, but a definitive date is not yet known. In the near future, the club also plans to partner with students from Longfellow Middle School to host a food bank fundraiser. They hope the event will introduce incoming McLean freshmen to the TeensForFoodBank club, extend their community outreach and attract new potential members.

For more information and access to the leadership application, visit teensforfoodbanks.org.