McLean holds annual FanFest basketball game

School community convenes to support the Special Olympics team
As the student body spectates, the red team makes a shot, the ball hovering over the net. The red team ultimately secured a 31-29 win over the silver team.

McLean’s Special Olympics team and its alumni held their FanFest basketball game, a display of inclusivity and fellowship. The event, which took place during seventh period on Friday, saw players take to the basketball court in a spirited game while fellow Highlanders cheered them on from the bleachers.

“[Fanfest] gives kids the opportunity to play in front of their hometown crowd,” multiple-disabilities teacher and FanFest coach Mark Thompson said.

Alumni and current students from McLean’s Special Education Department practiced basketball once a week since November, but FanFest is their largest event with the most student support.

“Our normal games are at other schools on weekends, so no one ever comes to them,” Student Information Assistant and FanFest coach Molly Payne said. “[Now] their whole entire student body shows up and cheers them on, and they don’t get that opportunity [usually].”

The game itself was tight, with two teams, the silver and red teams, giving their all on the court. After a thrilling match, it was the red team who emerged victorious with a narrow 31-29 win.

“I thought it went really well and I thought that all the excitement [in the crowd] was fun. I think there were a lot of good players out there today,” said sophomore Evie Davidson, a tenor saxophonist in the pep band.

Notably, over half the players on both teams were able to score, including McLean alum and red team player Abby Criswell.

“Working as a team and being part of the community [stood out to me],” Criswell said.

Players, cheerleaders, band members, organizers and student spectators all unite during FanFest as a show of support for students from McLean’s Special Education Department, strengthening McLean’s community and creating an inclusive school environment overall.

“The whole McLean community comes together: the band volunteers, cheerleaders volunteer, Best Buddies [volunteers],” Payne said. “We just get the kids out there.”