Junior varsity baseball glad to be playing in front of fans

Large crowds are now being allowed at most McLean sporting events.

Sophomore+Jeremy+Simon+makes+a+game-saving+play+in+his+first+JV+baseball+game.+

Wendy Simon

Sophomore Jeremy Simon makes a game-saving play in his first JV baseball game.

Max Irish and Spencer Sirotzky

McLean Junior Varsity baseball players are happy to finally be playing in front of live crowds, as the team went from having no season last school year to playing in front of large crowds all throughout this season.

“I was on the team last year, but only played in a scrimmage before the season was shut down due to COVID,” sophomore Jeremy Simon said. “I and many other players were really sad at the time because we had worked hard to play but never got a chance…last season.”

Players that didn’t play last year were also glad to play in front of their fans.

“Last season I didn’t try out so I don’t know what it was like,” sophomore Elliot Smith-Chauss said. “But I do know throughout this season so far it has been great to play in front of all my friends and family.”

“I enjoy being able to practice almost every day with my teammates,” said sophomore Smith- Chauss.

The baseball team has had many marquee matchups and played some of the top JV teams in the states.

“I enjoyed playing Langley,” Smith-Chauss said. “It was fun to be a part of that rivalry, and it was especially fun to win one of the games and I got to celebrate with my teammates.”

Although the junior varsity team started off a little rocky with a record of 1-5, they are still working on playing together better and continuing their winning streak.

“We have only been together for like two months, but we are playing really well right now and having fans here helps us to play a little bit better,” Smith-Chauss said. “I feel like the team is coming together [as we play.]”

“Our team is really coming together and I am happy that we are able to work together and play well,” assistant coach Greg Zajic said.

The vaccination rate and new mask mandates have encouraged visitors, which allows more people to watch high school sports games.

“I am happy that we are returning to a sense of normalcy in the world, and I am really grateful that my whole team is able to play in front of our friends and family,” Simon said. “I think [having fans back at the games] really helps our team to play better and makes us all feel better.”