UPDATE: Virginia enters stay-in-place shelter order

Gov. Ralph Northam signs executive order banning nonessential public access

Courtesy+of+Virginia+Government+

Courtesy of Virginia Government

Kyle Hawley, Opinions Editor

On March 30, Virginia Governor Ralph Northam issued an executive order declaring a stay-in-place shelter for all Virginian residents. While the order allows for essential needs like grocery shopping, seeking medical attention, basic exercise, and traveling to places of worship, it also allows for people to attend another person’s private residence. However, gathering in groups of 10 or more is prohibited and citizens out in public must maintain the CDC’s strongly advised 6 feet distance from one another. Violations of the temporary law can lead to a Class 1 misdemeanor.
Following his press conference, many McLean students took to social media to complain about the newly enacted order, with a good amount saying they agree with Northam’s decision.
“I understand where the governor is coming from,” junior Alexia Granados said. “His number one focus right now is keeping Virginia safe and healthy. He didn’t do this for fun.”
Virginia follows a handful list of states who have ordered a similar stay-in-place shelter restriction. States around the country like California, New York and Illinois, and even neighboring states like Maryland have implemented the orders.
The Old Dominion had lacked combative measures, except for controversially ending school for the year. This law comes with a change of life for people who have ignored the federal guidelines. However, some people aren’t affected by it.
“I have been under strict quarantine by my parents long before the mandatory order was in place. This just makes it illegal in the eyes of the state for my family,” Granados said.
Virginians have a long way to go as they wait for the executive order to be lifted. Currently, the public ban is set to be unrestricted on June 10.