Senior receives peace award

Senior Sarah Gu receives honor of student peace prize for community service work

Recipients+of+the+FCPS+Student+Peace+Prize+gather+on+March+10+at+a+community+center.+This+award+is+given+to+select+individuals+that+have+truly+made+a+community+impact+with+service+

Photo courtesy of Sarah Gu

Recipients of the FCPS Student Peace Prize gather on March 10 at a community center. This award is given to select individuals that have truly made a community impact with service

Emily Jackson, Copy and Features Editor

McLean’s very own senior Sarah Gu was awarded with an FCPS student peace prize back in January. Students from 22 different schools were named recipients of this award, and were honored at a gathering on March 10 at the Sherwood Community Center in Fairfax.
This award recognizes students in FCPS that are making a difference in our community by promoting positive change. Awards can be given based on a variety of different acts of community service, and Gu won it for two different reasons.
“I started a nonprofit that provides classes to 600 underprivileged kids overseas and I am also the head of a program that teaches student public speaking in DC,” Gu said.
Her overseas organization called “The Windows” originally stemmed from visiting her family in China. Teaching lessons to these children in English and current affairs, Gu was able to expand her program into a much larger nonprofit.
Gu was nominated last year and not awarded the prize, making this year’s win especially rewarding.
“I was happy since…this year I got chosen,” Gu said.