Bracing for the worst

The McLean community prepares for implications of the coronavirus

Dua Mobin

A student picks up a grab and go lunch and the Graham Road Community Center. Offering free lunches at various locations is one of the ways FCPS tries to help families deal with the implications of the spread of the coronavirus.

Dua Mobin, Features Editor

As news spread across the globe about the coronavirus, families rushed to local markets in order to store consumer products. However, as dozens of new cases appear in Virginia on a day to day basis, families realize how many more precautions must be undertaken besides stocking up on food.

FCPS has also taken some measures to help families such as provide lunches for families that rely on free or reduced priced meals from school. This has aided some families deal with some effects of the spread of the coronavirus.

Some families have started quarantining themselves even if they are not infected in order to keep themselves safe from this rising pandemic. Sophomore Emily Yoo is a McLean resident who is on lock down and has been taking a variety of precautions with her family in light of the pandemic.

“When my dad came back from Korea, he lived in the basement for two weeks. We’ve been frequently washing hands and doorknobs,” Yoo said.

Additionally, many students are using precautions such as buying more sanitary products, but shortages are emerging with the large volume of such products being purchased.

I did [see] a shortage of consumer goods with Toilet Paper and Paper Towels,” junior Peter Awabdeh said

Such shortages can become signs of some taking increasingly extensive measures to combat the spread of the virus.

“I think it is a very big overreaction that Water and Toilet Paper are being sold out since a Bulk set from Costco tends to supply a family of 4-5 for a month to month and a half. However, people have been buying way more amounts at one time, leaving many families without those valuable items,” Awabdeh said.

Some are trying to combat the increasing scarcity of goods through the use of online shopping sites.

“I combated shortages by using online platforms such as Wish to purchase more and more goods. I also had an additional supply at my house as my parents like to purchase from Costco on a frequent basis,” Awabdeh said. 

Despite the numerous measures McLean residents are taking, many still fear that the effects of the virus will worsen.

“I think the virus will have a major impact on the community. It’s just a matter of time,” Yoo said.