McLean ends the season strong

McLean girls Varsity basketball played their last game against school rival Langley High on Friday. After a close game, the team came out with a well earned win.

The girls on the varsity basketball team defend Langley.  Their strong defensive game got them a win.

The girls on the varsity basketball team defend Langley. Their strong defensive game got them a win.

Mae Monaghan, Reporter

Students dressed in black start to swarm the bleachers of the McLean side of the gymnasium an hour before the match begins.  After a while the music starts, cuing the entrance of the girls team. As the doors open the crowd begins to cheer, starting off the night hyped up.

The McLean girls varsity basketball team kicked off the night with a win against the school’s rival team, Langley High.  The game was close, but McLean came out ahead, finishing with a score of 50-45.  

“I had a lot of fun this season, the team bonded well and we worked together each game,” said sophomore Piper Tedrow, who plays guard on the girls Varsity team

The girls worked hard together all season, and ended up being undefeated at home.

“Our season this year started off really well,” said sophomore Mia Fitzgerald, who plays mostly shooting guard on the girls Varsity team. “We were on a winning streak and then lost a few games, but now we’re back.”

This game in particular was very important, as McLean’s opponent was the school’s rival team, Langley High. 

“The energy is 10 times greater because of the crowd, and the rivalry which makes it more competitive,” Tedrow said.

From all their ha

rd work came a big reward.  At the end of the game the girls received the rotary cup, which is an award given to the winner of the second McLean-Langley game each year.  

“We knew whoever won the game won the cup, so that definitely motivated us even more to win,” Fitzgerald said.

This year the team will lose five seniors, but the underclassmen are excited to be able to step up into their place.  

“We have a very strong team and we plan to go far,” Fitzgerald said.  

https://www.instagram.com/p/B8AO55OJ45b/?igshid=5qlkbqb10f3d