McLean swim defeats W-L

Highlanders celebrate a double win against the Washington-Liberty Generals

Emily Jackson, Copy and Features Editor

Photos by Lianne Garrahan

“Take your mark…BEEP!” And the swimmers are off. The crowd watches as some of the best swimmers in the region compete.

On Friday, Jan. 10, the McLean swim team went up against the Washington-Liberty Generals at their school. The meet began at 6 pm with dive and swim started by 7.

It resulted in a double win for McLean, with guys winning 186-128 and girls 172-143. Some notable individual winners were senior Dora Wu in two races, sophomore Ryan Sribar in one race, and sophomore Bridget O’Shaughnessy in two races.

“I love swimming at W-L…the atmosphere is really light and competitive, which makes racing there really exciting,” O’Shaughnessy said.

Spirits were high in the pool, with loud cheering by both teams. McLean showed lots of spirit on the sides of the pool.

“It’s really fun to cheer people on from the other side of the pool since you can get really close to them when they turn at the wall,” O’Shaughnessy said.

Not only was the meet fun for swimmers, but successful as well. Last year the team also defeated W-L, but with a considerably smaller margin, with the boys only winning by 1.

Looking forward in the swim season, senior night will occur on Friday, Jan. 24 at the meet against Yorktown. Following that, on Saturday, Jan. 25, there will be a Progressive Dinner to commemorate the regular season. The post-season starts with districts on Feb. 1.