National Honor Society kicks into motion

Hundreds of students attended the meeting. There were so many students trying to log on to the spreadsheet on the presentation that it crashed. Photo by Sebastian Jimenez

Sebastian Jimenez, Managing Editor

This past Thursday, the NHS (National Honor Society) held their second mandatory meeting, following the induction ceremony that took place in October.

Following a month-long notice and preparation, NHS members this year attended the meeting held on Dec. 5. The purpose was for students to take part in writing “thank you” cards to faculty and staff in the spirit of Thanksgiving.

“[My participation] means that I love to give back to my community, and that’s what we do here,” senior member Flavia Carcani said.

Taking place in the cafeteria, the occasion was populated by roughly 400 students. Enthusiasm was high for the event, as students become driven to learn how to meet 50 hour community service hour requirement. The meeting itself counted as one service hour.

“I’ve actually already finished the majority of [my 50 hours] doing fun stuff. I taught elementary schoolers over the summer in a summer program,” Carcani said.

Many members of NHS came together at this meeting to brainstorm ways in which they can serve their community. Like Carcani, they are all capable of going above and beyond that requirement.

“I do [plan to continue at NHS]. It’s fun and it’s a great way for people to do more service toward their community,” Carcani said.