McBasketball starts off with a bang

Boys varsity basketball starts off the season with a scrimmage victory against Justice High

Photo by Noah Barnes

McLean sets up to contest an inbound in the first period.

Noah Barnes, Reporter

The season ahead looks promising for the McLean varsity basketball team as they beat Justice High School in their first scrimmage. The scrimmage was played in five periods, with McLean winning four and tying one.

The first period McLean won the tip off and started off with a quick two points in the paint. McLean’s offense seemed to have little trouble driving through the physically smaller Justice players. McLean cruised to a 26-11 win the first period.

McLean varsity coach Mike O’Brien put in a new group of players in the second quarter to give the younger group on the squad game experience.

Justice High School, ready to make amends for their poor performance in the first period, got off to a 6 point lead.

The younger rotation of McLean players struggled to put up points, letting Justice hold on to a lead deep into the second period. However, as soon as Coach O’Brien put back in the starting players consisting of veterans like the Bremser twins, McLean quickly regained the lead, and finished the period ahead 13-11.

“We struggled a little bit in the second period. The other team [Justice] were pumped and got off to a good start. We just needed to find out rhythm again,” sophomore point guard Paarth Soni said.

The third period, McLean settled into the game and brushed aside Justice to finish ahead 25-7.

However, the fourth period presented the first real challenge for the Highlanders. With the younger players in rotation again, Justice took an early lead and held on until the final dregs of the period.

With one second left, Lucious Overby of McLean drained a buzzer beater from behind the arc to tie the period 11-11.

The fifth and final period went according to plan, with McLean fielding a good mix of starters and newcomers to finish off the period 16-11.

McLean has a bright season ahead with a great mix of old and new talent, prepared to take on the best in the region as the season progresses.