McLean Band Color Guard and Band take first place

MHS Guard and Band win Virginia Marching Band Cooperative Competition

Mclean Band rehearses together before competing. 
(Photo taken by Nandini Shine)

Mclean Band rehearses together before competing. (Photo taken by Nandini Shine)

Athena Le, Reporter

The McLean Band and Guard competed and won first place overall on Oct. 12. They practiced and trained relentlessly leading up to the competition, and although emotions were soaring due to their senior night that took place the night before, they still managed to work hard and put in their all.

“We get there before the sun even rises and sometimes watch it come up together. Then we go do our warm-ups which consists of running laps and stretches” senior color guard member Nandini Shine said. 

The band and guard put in their blood sweat and tears all the way up to the competition hour, having to rehearse for several hours up until the performance began.

“We do warm-ups and fundamentals and then focus on the choreography rehearsal for production in sections until we get it right and right for the performance,” senior band member Clarice Clay said. “We do get a break to rejuvenate ourselves but we have to come back soon enough to get dressed and competition ready and then restart the warm-up process and rehearsal.” 

The competition was intense and the judging nerve wracking; the intricacies of marching and the pressure to perform well made the night more stress filled. Each step they took had to be deliberate and every movement graceful, but the guard and band managed to impress even amidst the pressure of evaluation.

“They start evaluating the minute you step on the field, once you touch the field you have to use all of your technique and skills even when walking,” Shine said.

However, the band and guard’s strong bonds set them apart from the competition. Collaboration rather than competition is what drove the team and through this, their unity shone and made them the team to beat.

“Before the competition starts all the drum majors come out and hug us and give all of us pep talk; they really try to interact with everyone not just the band but also with the Guard,” Shine said. “And before championships, because it’s usually cold this time of year, our coach brings us in and we sit in a circle warming each other up and she always has to give us this one speech about how this has been such a great season and how we are like her children. We are honestly so close with each other, it is hard to think of the season ending.” 

The synergy, choreography, and dedication of the students all aided in achieving the big win for the McLean band and guard and In light of their win the hopes of winning their final competition in states are high.

“I hope we do win this last competition, it would honestly be the best way to end the season. McLean has won this three times in a row and I hope tomorrow we can make that four, but even if we don’t it will still be a great experience” Shine said.