Enough is Enough

Following Colorado school shooting, changes must be made

Ben Brooks, Sports Editor

128 days. 15 school shootings. Since the beginning of 2019, CNN has registered 15 school shootings in the United States alone. This isn’t a random spurt, either. Since 2009, the U.S. has had a shocking 288 school shootings. The next seven most economically developed countries in that time combined? Five. There’s no coincidence. The country’s continued reluctance to adapting to overcome these shootings has put a dark shadow on our country as a whole over the last few years. The divide in our country over the Second Amendment is only increasing. 

The Second Amendment states that “the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.” However, this was written in the 1700s, when the biggest worry was an invasion from the British. Now, mentally unstable people are easily purchasing guns and killing children with them. And nothing is being done.

Following a devastating shooting in New Zealand, Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern immediately pushed for stricter gun laws. In result, The New York Times reported that applications to move to New Zealand from the United States nearly doubled following the shooting.  A major part of this is the progressive agenda set by the Prime Minister that is able to adapt to adversity. Unfortunately, the U.S. has been unable to follow in the footsteps of New Zealand, and we see ourselves in the same position we saw ourselves in over a year ago after Parkland. And Sandy Hook seven years ago. And Virginia Tech 12 years ago. And even Columbine 20 years ago. 

This sickening trend in recent history has been going on for decades, but people’s unwavering dedication to the Second Amendment is showing a side of America that has been seen before. Similar to the Civil Rights Era, many Americans fail to pass moral reforms due to previous opinions that are unwilling to adapt to new circumstances. 

Whether it be increasingly more detailed background checks, registration, or gun restrictions, America needs to begin the process of regulating their guns. People are becoming tired of the process of mourning and then moving on with life. With every school shooting comes a new opportunity to address this true National Emergency. Unfortunately, the last 288 chances have failed to be acted on by the government. 

There have been multiple eras in the history of the United States in where the youth have pioneered a movement for change. Notably, the Civil Rights and Suffrage Eras have benefitted from a huge push from the youth. This has already been seen recently, as student activists have ordered walkouts and protests to advocate for the safety of their fellow classmates.